Monday, May 25, 2009

Glimpses of Russia

Its really hard to fathom that we were standing in the Kremlin on May 1. On our short 4 day visit to Moscow we saw Red Square, St. Basil's, Kremlin, and many other sights. The cupolas on the churches were amazing - many made of gold.


Some church

St. Basil's



A grocery store - can you believe it?



Red Square

We saw many people - the young ones speak English. Everyone was kind - when a girl collapsed on the metro many came forward to help her.

We had a great guide named Ludmila who shared with us her love of Moscow as well as her knowledge of her country, city and people. She lived through Soviet rule, Perostroika and the current "quasi--capital" systems.

I'll post more in the coming weeks - but suffice to say - I never thought I would live to see the fall of communism - and I did! And it never entered my mind that I would travel to Moscow! What an incredible experience.

No comments: